Kellogg’s Recaptures 66% of Lost Market Share in Under 2 Years
- International manufacturer, marketer and distributor of cereal, yogurt and confectionery products.
- Twenty-two person Senior Management Team, forty-six next-level Key Managers.
- Historical national leader in cereal brands, sales, profits — with eroding market share.
- Culture of quality, innovation, people development, profitability and growth.
- Eroding market share and increasing competition had caused some deterioration of a common agreement on business recovery priorities.
- CEO observed a disconnect between several senior and next-level management functions regarding business priorities.
- Organization was self-assured and confident that the market share trend would be reversed “because we are the best.”
- Front-line people were unaware of the implications of continued market fragmentation.
- Discovery – accurately determine the current management and leadership situation [one-on-one interviews/discussions with entire Senior Management and Next-Level Management groups].
- Briefed CEO, COO, Business Development Officer and Vice President, Human Resources on findings and preliminary Vision/Strategy Process.
- Collaboratively design, develop and deliver the Vision/Strategy Process.
- Off-Site retreat for twenty-two person Senior Management Team to agree on Values, Vision, Implementation.
- A common Vision that captured the imagination of the organization was developed and agreed-to:
- “Kellogg’s will recapture its’ rightful market share” [That which was owned and taken from us]
- The organization became very innovative and aggressive in pursuing what had been taken from it. All functions were affected — manufacturing, sales, marketing, technical, product development, distribution, business development, human resources.
- Innovative, risky distribution efforts secured much more business faster than expected.
- Kellogg’s recaptured 2/3 of the lost market share, in a very competitive environment, in less than two years.
- Kellogg’s was on the Business Week list of top five firms with the highest ROE, three years running.
Download Case Study Email (952) 831-7300